Friday, October 1, 2010

The Nichols-Kulick Family (Pt 7) - Freddie & Hattie

*          *          *


John Stoskopf writes:

Where one trail goes cold, other clues fall into place!  This is one point in our story where I am so happy that I personally have something to contribute.

Up until now we had no exact date when Frederick Kulick married Caroline Rienas-Nichols creating the Nichols-Kulick family.  Doing a search on the internet I have located a record which states a Frederick Kulik (note spelling) married Caroline Nickel (note spelling) on September 1, 1894 in Detroit, MI!

What is more, it states Frederick Kulik was from Germany and his father's name was Jacob Kulik and his mother's name was Dorathea Jablonki.

As mentioned before, Caroline had five children with her now deceased husband, Mr. Nichols and Frederick had four children of his own with his previous wife.  (There is speculation that Mrs. Kulick might be buried along side other Kulicks in a large Forest Lawn cemetery plot owned by Frederick.  Other than that her story is unknown.)

Harriet (Hattie), Martha, Frederick (Freddie), Anna (Ann) & Mamie (May) Kulick (ca. 1903)


This photo is what I believe to be our oldest photo from my Grandmother's side of the family which I'm estimating to have been taken around 1903. (Coincidentally that is the same year estimated for the oldest photo we have of my Grandfather's family as well.)

The oldest and tallest child shown is unmistakably Anna (Ann) Kulick.  She was born in 1886.

Next to her is whom I believe to be Mamie (May) Kulick born in 1892, the youngest of the nine children up until now.

We speculate that after Frederick and Caroline were married their first child together was Frederick (Freddie) Kulick but we have no concrete information on him whatsoever.  I'm certain this is him shown here, the only male child in the photo.

On the extreme left is whom I believe to be Harriet (Hattie) Kulick and judging from the photograph she looks younger to me than Freddie.

In-between them both is my grandmother, Martha Kulick.  We know Martha was born at the end of 1899.



Frederick (Freddie) Kulick


This is all we have on Frederick, besides the previous photograph. Absolutely nothing else survives except a personal experience of him that I share with my mother.

When I first saw this picture, I somehow knew him.  Of course that is impossible right?  Then I remembered when I was a kid and we'd visit Grandma's house there was a doll my mother had as a child, a red-headed rag doll of sorts we knew as "Freddie".  I used to love to go up in Grandma's attic and look through all the artifacts and treasures from a family past, therefore I knew "Freddie" well.

Looking at this photo Mom agrees, he is "Freddie".  In fact it was none other than Grandma Martha, Fred's younger sister who told my mother when she first got her doll, "Name him Freddie."  We believe she had warm feelings toward her older brother.  That is what survives him.

It is interesting to note on this photo Martha writes "Harry Fred Kulick".  Perhaps it is the only record of his true name.



*          *          *


Harriet Kulick (ca. 1930s)


Everybody called her Hattie.  As with Freddie, we have no birth date or date she passed away.

We do know she married Norman (Red) Herman who worked for the old Hupp Automobile Company.  Unfortunately we have no photographs of Norman.




Harriet Kulick (ca. 1930s)


We do have a memory from my mother about Hattie though.  Mom recalls Grandma Martha saying that Hattie was a talented woman. If there was a social gathering to go to she could sew a dress in no time.  She could also play a piano.




Louis Herman


Hattie and Norman had one son, Louis born on July 2, 1915.  Louis, like his mother was musical and he could play the organ.  This memory is emphasized by a story told to my mother from her brother in-law Gordon Stoscup.

Uncle Gordie played the organ and did so publicly at what was known as "Nau's Sno-White Dining Room" on Grand River Ave. in Detroit.  By chance, Louis Herman ran into Uncle Gordie playing one evening and found they had something in common.

Louis worked for Chrysler Corporation and with his wife Violet, we believe, had one son and one daughter.  Violet was born April 3, 1919 and died April 26, 1975 of pancreatic cancer.  I understand it was a brave battle from stories handed down.

Louis eventually remarried a lady named Shirley and they lived in Nokomis, Florida.  Louis passed away on June 5, 1998










                                                                                         *          *          *

No comments:

Post a Comment