Thursday, October 13, 2016

Home Movies: Reel #2 [1977]

I am so pleased to finally post my second Home Movies reel of film. One of the things that I've enjoyed about this film is it was in much better shape than any of the other films that I did. For example, the color (although it favors blue), I thought was better than the older stuff.

I call this "Reel #2" because it kind of rounds out what I'd started with back in 1973. I also like the differences between this and the previous one, because from the beginning of that film, everything was done from bits and pieces. This time, I'd actually planned a film ahead of time and although it starts out as a kind of travelogue, it ends up with the family one more time back together and having fun which I think is a great book-end to the first reel. It was all completed within 2 months as opposed to 4 years.

It's slightly shorter than "Reel #1" and one could argue that I'd already done a travelogue with the previous Home Movies post "Walt Disney World", but that one was a bit of an oddball. What is similar is that I played it 'straight' and simply attempted to document the experience. People were not essential. It was the scenery that ruled. Here, however, is a 'travelogue' not of a famous landmark the world knows about, but one of my home state of Michigan, which makes it more personal. 

Even though I grumble about it today, growing up in Detroit was a wonderful experience. The 1967 riots were the beginning of the end, but we still didn't see it coming. The Detroit Tigers winning the 1968 World Series, for example, seemed to show everything was on the up-swing and positive. We lived on the outskirts of the city so we didn't see the bad things that were going on 'downtown', that is until Grandma's home was burglerized by her own neighbors across the street while she was visiting us on Thanksgiving day in 1973. That was another turning point in our lives. 

Driving out of the Tri-County area you will find yourself in another world that doesn't resemble the city. Just a few hours away and you are to a place where the people are friendly and let us not forget to mention those beautiful Great Lakes that Michigan has which no one can compare to.  It was a nice trip to go on with my parents, and the last of such a venture I'd make with them.

So to cap my motion picture adventures on film, please do enjoy this entry from our archives and once more I must thank a fantastic artist, Billy Joel, for supplying the wonderful musical background which makes all the difference in the world for the viewing experience. It was the music of that time. It was the music that helped get me back into listening to music again.

We lost Elvis during the week when Mom & Dad and myself were on this journey in August of 1977. The second half of the film (taken over the following Labor Day Weekend) chronicles perhaps the last time we, as a family, would ever get together again with our cousins at the home of my Dad's brother, my Uncle Gordie.  Those really were fantastic times, no matter what today's memories may yield, the film tells the truth of my perspective. 
 





Northern Michigan, Mackinaw City in the lower peninsula of the State.








Dad's car, the Pontiac Catalina outside a place I believe we might have stayed.




The Mackinac Bridge connecting the North and Southern peninsula's of Michigan.












I remember buying this huge cigar from somewhere there. It was so big, I think it must have been a joke, but all I could think of was my (now ex) manager that I'd worked for at a place called the Northland Theatre, which resided in the Northland Center Shopping Mall. I was imitating him here, proud as ever with his cigar. (I wound up eventually working with him again until early 1979.)




A surprise! (Too bad the lighting wasn't right and I'm in the shadows. Somehow I must have got my Dad to take this shot.)










Nightlife in Mackinaw City.




If I'm not mistaken, I think these small cabins where we stayed were in the back of the motel entrance. They were fun.






There's Mom.






Introducing Dad.




Remember David Hartman on "Good Morning, America"?


Crossing the Bridge into the Upper Peninsula.


























Mom & Dad, together again!






Your's truly.










This was taken at an entrance to one of the viewing points of Tahquamenon Falls looking at it from below.




I'm very happy that you can see some people above the falls to help with the perspective. While not massive, the falls were still impressive in the beautiful scenery.


























The Tahquamenon Falls State Park area, Upper Peninsula, Michigan


Back in the lower peninsula, in Traverse City.
















So much wonderful land to see in Michigan. I would eventually settle into the Sleeping Bear Dunes area in the 1980s & 90s, the last time I visited there being 2011. We didn't visit it during this trip but we had been there, first time for me, around 1968.


Famous Frankenmuth, Michigan, home of the chicken dinner.  A Bavarian town, and a lot of fun to visit, Frankenmuth is the tourist attraction.














After dinner at the Bavarian Inn.




























One of the other attractions in Frankenmuth is the addition of a year-round Bonner's Christmas Wonderland promoting itself as the "World's Largest Christmas Store".
















This is back home on the driveway of my parent's place on 11347 Patton, Detroit, Michigan with extended family brother Wayne Welkenback approaching, and hopefully stopping.








As in my "Home Movies: Reel #1", Wayne doesn't want his picture taken.






This is at the home of my Uncle Gordie's family (Dad's brother) once more as we enjoyed in "Reel #1", although with a new in-ground pool! (Southeastern Michigan.)








Cousin's Bill & Debbie.






Cousin Janice with Jeff Martin.






Brother David.






Sister Shirley & husband Carl Peters.








Brother Dave's car.  I obviously liked the license plate.




Cousin Jim's Mustang.
















Aunt Edith


Uncle Bill (Dad's brother).


Yeah, myself attempting a 'dive'. What form!


































Uncle Gordie's silhouette.






Cousin Jim.


















The evening calm.






A beautiful night.










...and that is the way it was. So long!


(Tacked on the very end, a few frames of Dad back home! Just as originally presented.)







***
Incredibly, there's still more!  Look for "Home Movies:  The Bonus Reel" - Coming 2017













No comments:

Post a Comment